Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Polish Sausage Soup


This recipe is from a family friend. I love polish sausage or kielbasa as most people call it. My husband and son love it too, which is great because my son is not a big meat eater. And I know that it is high in salt, but I decided to just leave the salt out of this soup as a compromise. This soup is awesome too because you can easily make this whole recipe in the crock pot, go to work and come home to a hot home cooked meal. Just leave out the barley, and add that 10 minutes before dinner. Yummy, and super easy. Perfect for winter!!

I always buy kielbasa and then it sits in my fridge because I don't know what to do with it. I think this is my only recipe that calls for it. So, if anyone has any recipes that call for kielbasa or polish sausage I would be more than appreciative.

Polish Sausage Soup

1 link of polish sausage or kielbasa
2 medium carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 can great northern beans, also called Navy beans
1/2 cup of quick cooking barley
1 14oz. can diced tomatoes
2 32 oz. boxes chicken stock or broth
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste


Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large soup pot.
Add diced veggies and garlic, saute for 10 minutes.
Cut kielbasa into coins, about 1/4 inch thick.
Add chicken stock, tomatoes, beans and kielbasa.
Heat to boiling and add barley. Boil for 10 minutes or until barley and veggies are tender.
Eat many large bowls of this. Go to bed stuffed!!

1 comment:

  1. That looks really good Kel! You know how much I love Kielbasa. :-)

    ReplyDelete