Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Creamy Carmalized Onion And Bacon Pizza


I love pizza! We have a deep never ending bond. I love it so much that I have come up with a few recipes of my own that have become family favorites. Don't get me wrong, I have the pizza chains on speed dial for the nights when all I feel like doing is lounging on the couch with a pizza box and Mr. remote. But, on the other hand, nothing is better than a homemade pizza pie. I have made thin crust and deep dish, tried lots of toppings and different cheeses and sauces, and have come up with a few favorites. This one actually came to me while I was making stuffing for Thanksgiving. I was caramelizing some onions and I made way too many. I did not want to throw them away so I just popped the extra in the fridge for another meal, and so it came to be that this food baby was born!


1 refrigerated pizza crust ( no I do not make my own......shoot me!)
1 medium onion, sliced
8-10 strips pre-cooked bacon, chopped (you can use raw and cook it, but why? Its just an extra step)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
olive oil
salt and pepper


In a saute pan melt 1 tablespoon butter and a tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 10-12 minutes until they are golden in color and sweet smelling. Preheat oven according to pizza crust directions. Spread dough on pizza pan and drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Bake crust for 5 minutes or just until set, not browned. Once onions are caramelized, push to outside of pan and melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the center of pan. Add heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Stir until creamy and incorporate onions into cream sauce. Remove pizza crust from oven and spread with the creamy onion sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and chopped bacon. Bake for an additional 5-7 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted.

This pizza is EXTREMELY rich in flavor. Beware!!! I can usually only eat 1 slice, 2 if I am really hungry. Its also great cold. Yes, I love cold pizza. My son ate a whole slice of this. He is only 21 months old, which proves how yummy and delicious this is.

Disclaimer: I never said that this was good for you, fate free, calorie free, low in calories, or would not clog your arteries, because its not at all healthy. Proceed with caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment