Saturday, December 6, 2008

Egg Muffins


I was reading a new cookbook that I got out of the library called, The Family Kitchen. The great thing about this book is that it shows ways in which your children can help you in the kitchen. Each recipe has a "Call the kids" section with ways the kids can help, whether it is washing vegetables or mixing a salad dressing.

My son loves to watch me cook. He is in his glory to sit in the kitchen with me and mix and stir with my bowls and spatulas. I try really hard to keep him interested in food and preparing it. So far he is not a picky eater, and I am really hoping his appetite does not change. He will pretty much eat anything, from salmon to asparagus. He loves it all! I know, lucky me, right?

Well this recipe comes from this book, although I did adapt it slightly. The recipe in the book calls for zucchini, and I did not have any on hand, so I twisted it up a bit and made ham and cheese egg muffins instead.

I think this is a brilliant idea. Pair a few of these egg muffins with some fresh fruit and hash brown potatoes and you have a complete sit down meal. Or, if you are constantly on the run like I am you can make these on Sunday and keep them in the fridge for an easy on the go breakfast all week long. Toast up an english muffin or bagel and pop one of these in the middle and you have an instant breckfast sandwich and most of the work is done for you. So here is my adaptation of this recipe.

Egg Muffins

4 eggs (will make 6 egg muffins)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2-3 slices deli ham, diced
1/4 cup milk or half and half
salt and pepper
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
In a mixing bowl, crack eggs and add milk. Whish together.
Mix in ham dices and 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese.
Salt and pepper the egg mixture to taste.
Poor egg mixture equally into muffin tins. The mixture should fill 6 muffin cups.
Sprinkle the tops with remaining shredded cheese.
Bake for 10-14 minutes, or until golden on top.
Remove from oven and slide a butter knife around the edges to loosen. If eggs are runny, put back in the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Once cooled, use knife to loosen.
Eat them.

No comments:

Post a Comment