Sunday, November 30, 2008

Cake Mix Chocolate Crinkles


I recently got a book out of the library called, Cake Mix Cookies. I read it cover to cover and wanted to eat every page, the cookies, not the actual book! The author is brilliant. She has created recipes for every type and flavor of cookie possible, in which the main ingredient is a box of cake mix. I thought this was incredibly clever, considering the way our economy is going right now, this truly will save you money, not to mention time. By the time you have purchased the ingredients in a typical cookie dough you are well into twenty dollars. If you use a cake mix, you can typically spend under five dollars, and that is if you really have NOTHING in your pantry, no oil, eggs or milk.

My sister and I were really inspired by this cook book and have decided to use cake mixes as the basis for most of our holiday baking. Seeing as tomorrow is December first, I thought I would start off the month by making a Christmas favorite in our family, the Chocolate Crinkle Cookie. My mother has made these every year for as long as I can remember. They are a rich cake like chocolate cookie that is rolled in powdered sugar before being baked. While baking the powdered sugar finds every nook and crannie in the cookie. They are actually a very pretty cookie, and so yummy!!!

Cake Mix Chocolate Crinkles

1 box Devil's Food cake mix
2 eggs
4 teaspoons milk
1/4 cup oil
powdered sugar


Mix cake mix, eggs, oil and milk in a large bowl. Dough will be very thick. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375. use a teaspoon to roll dough into 1 inch balls, and roll in powdered sugar. Bake for 8-10 minutes.

Make sure you have a well greased cookie sheet, otherwise the powdered sugar will burn and make the cookies stick to the pan. Also, if you are a cookiholic like me, you might want to pop the dough in the freezer for 10 minutes instead of the refridgerator for 30 minuites. This is for those of us who have a I NEED TO EAT THEM NOW mentatlity. I include myself in this category.

No comments:

Post a Comment