Tuesday, November 25, 2008

German Apple Cake


My mother has always been a baker. Because of her, my sister and I have grown to love baked goods. It is a special bond. The yummy sweet aroma of a tasty treat from the oven is to me what the holidays is all about. Well, that and being with family and friends of course.

My mom is a lover of coffee and cake. Pound cake especially, as well as any kind of strudel or danish. At any time during my childhood you could wander into the kitchen and be sure to find some kind of baked good, whether it be homemade bread or cake.

I came across this recipe while searching for German recipes. It struck me because it calls for four cups of apples, which at first seemed like a ton! Upon making this cake, I found out that it is a perfect amount to achieve a really thick and dense batter, which by the way the batter was pretty tasty too! German Apple Cake


German Apple Cake

2 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 cups of peeled and diced apples ( I recommend you dice this in a small dice, otherwise the cake seems too lumpy)

Preheat the oven to 350
grease and dust a cake pan with flour, 9x13 works best
In a bowl combine the eggs with the oil and beat with an electric mixer until smooth
Add sugar and vanilla and beat again until it is well combined
In a second bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon
Slowly add the dry ingridents to the sugar, egg and oil mixture, the batter will be VERY thick
Fold in the diced apples
Spread into your cake pan and bake for 30 minutes
Cake is done when a knife inserted comes out clean

The original recipe calls for this cake to be baked for 45 minutes. I checked mine and it was done at only 30 minutes, but my oven does cook a little hot. Adjust accordingly.

YUMMY! I sprinkled my cake with confectioner's sugar. This cake has a very crunchy top layer, which I think is excellent!!

No comments:

Post a Comment